Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Scene Styler

Followers

My Blog List

Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Simple Life


I took a trip to Fire Island this weekend for the first time and I have to say, the simplicity of the place totally took me by surprise. I'm used to the flashy-car-flashy-people-loving Hamptons. Fire Island was exactly the opposite of all that. There are no cars allowed on the island whatsoever and people live in boardshorts and t-shirts there.


So of course, everything I packed was pretty much all wrong and I ended up re-wearing some of the simpler things in my suitcase like my rubber Havaianas flip-flops. I wore those things to the beach, to the bar, to the restaurants, etc. I mean, I didn't so much as glimpse at another pair of shoes for three days straight. I loved it.


And as an added bonus, all of this laid-back, worry-free living had the effect of mentally cleaning house. I went there on Friday mulling over various complications in my life, thinking in circles like girls tend to do. And I came back on Sunday with a streamlined train of thought, thinking in a straightforward line like guys tend to do (so unfair!). By the end of the weekend, everything seemed simple. Hold on tight to the good things in your life. Let go of the bad. If something/someone doesn't make you feel good/happy/positive on an extremely regular basis, then there's no reason to linger. Period. End of story.


Needless to say, I'm looking forward to my next weekend out there in August AND I've been shopping around for slightly more appropriate beach clothing to bring with me. I found the Stella McCartney dress pictured above on net-a-porter.com. It's perfect—a little country, a little beachy, and….wait for it….it's ON SALE. For like, more than half of its original price.

No comments:

Post a Comment